Everyone who commits benefit fraud is a benefit thief!
Many people assume that benefit theft applies only to those who are working for 'cash in hand' whilst claiming Jobseeker’s Allowance. This is not the case. All benefit theft is crime.
Benefit theft includes:
- not telling us that you are now living with a partner
- not telling us that you are receiving other benefits
- not telling us about any savings or not telling us the right amount
- claiming for children who have left home
- not telling us that you have started work, or about any earnings
- not telling us that you have inherited money
- not telling us that you are going abroad, living abroad, or have changed address.
There are no exceptions. People who knowingly withhold information or deliberately fail to report a change in their circumstances are benefit thieves. It is not ‘playing the game' - it is breaking the law!